Version 5.3
June 27, 2011

Happy Monday to everyone. This post is a bit late, but there's a few reasons for that. I was planning on uploading the version 5.3 upgrade to the current website, but as usual, I ran into roadblocks. It was another case of biting off more than I could chew in my adventure to fix up every item I could think of. Now, at 10:30 PM, I have finished updating/upgrading/repairing all that I had set out to do, minus the upgrade to the archive. All that's left is to upload the content.

Unfortunately, the server went down, and so we're stuck not just without the upgrade but with no website at all. In the meantime, let me tell you about the changes in this upgrade. The biggest difference is in the code, where reorganization and cleanup was clearly needed. Of course, that isn't directly noticeable from the browser, unlike the obvious change in appearance. In place of the white washed background, each page now features a full-screen image capable of filling a screen of up to 1920 by 1080 pixels. During brainstorming, I found this design capable of providing a more relaxed feel. The feeling is similar to knocking down the walls and windows, and being able to see the surroundings bordering the main focus area, just like in Yael Naïm's music video "New Soul" where she literally tears down the walls to reveal the natural landscape all about her. Actually, if you experience my new upgrade like that, then I've accomplished what I had set out to do.

Other changes:

  • Updated portfolio
  • New profile
  • This journal

One of the items I could not finish in the allotted time was the gallery's archive. Don't worry, they aren't all lost. With time, I'll make progress and upload those projects.

It's now 11:24 PM, and the server has finally returned. So here ends the post. Hope you enjoy the site upgrade, and please let me know what you think and email me if you have bug reports. Thanks!

EDIT #1: Firefox 5.0 is giving some errors... unlike it's earlier self, Firefox 3.6. According to my stats, there shouldn't be anyone here already using 5.0, so don't upgrade your browser just yet. Anyways I'll spend some time figuring out a workaround.

EDIT #2: It turns out the problem is with Firefox 5.0's ability to render the site given the current doctype. To be continued...